The Safety Manager is responsible for continually promoting ECI’s Safety Culture and for the design, implementation, communication, and coordination of the Company’s various safety and training programs in support of ECI operations throughout the US. The Safety Manager provides leadership, direction, support and expertise for leadership and field team members. The Safety Manager works collaboratively with stakeholders in leading and maintaining an effective behavioral and cultural safety program to ensure that all safety programs are aligned with the strategic direction of the Company. This is a lead position for safety-related training, program development and new initiative implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform duties as directed by the Director of Safety working in coordination with the regional managers, business development managers, project managers and operations supervisors to meet the Company’s goals and objectives as well as client utility vegetation management program objectives.
- Abide by, integrate, inspire, positively influence and engage others to apply ECI’s Vision, Mission, Values, and Principles in daily activities and decisions.
- Be a champion of continuous improvement among team members, and various partners across the organization.
- Assure and promote an effective Safety Culture among all employees.
- Abide by ECI’s Employee Safety Culture Manual, Wildland Fire Preparedness and Prevention Plan, and safe driving principles, practices, and policies.
- Conduct introductory and ongoing safety training sessions for ongoing and new project start-up operations as needed.
- Identify safety and safety-related field training needs, establish annual performance goals and document progress.
- Collaborate with safety team members, leadership and management to develop safety initiatives and safety-related training programs as well as organize, set up and lead safety-related training sessions.
- Implement and manage processes to ensure that all safety and safety-related training documentation, reports and data are completed and that materials are delivered according to set guidelines.
- Maintain and update electronic safety data and associated records and safety training activities, participant progress, and program effectiveness.
- Continuously improve Company safety and safety training programs by researching new field training, educational, and multimedia technologies.
- Develop criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of safety and safety-related training activities and learning outcomes based on student competency, formal and informal feedback from customers and end users.
- Regularly evaluate trainers’ professional skills and abilities and provides coaching and counseling as needed.
- Conduct incident investigations and root cause analysis for all PD/GL/WC/OSHA Recordable, Near Miss and First Aid incidents and ensure accurate records are entered and submitted into appropriate internal and external incident databases (Safety Suite, etc.).
- Assist in providing required documentation for third party verification organizations, such as ISNetworld, Avetta, Browz.
- Assist in implementation of corrective actions as it relates to the incident and ensure that corrective actions, causal factors, root cause, “lessons learned” and avoidance strategies are communicated throughout the Company and are incorporated into the program, as necessary.
- Track, coordinate, and negotiate property, vehicle, and workers’ compensation related claims.
- Develop and implement claims avoidance measures.
- Actively participate in the scheduling and delivery of safety meetings and messages across Company locations to review safety performance and policies.
- Routinely conduct safety and field training site visits and audits to evaluate performance, recognize opportunities for improvement, and develop corrective actions.
- Attend and participate at industry-related conferences, summits, meetings, etc. when requested to do so.
- Develop, facilitate and provide timely and accurate reports as requested.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the utility client’s goals, objectives, requirements and scope in order to effectively manage Company safety and safety-related training programs for successful implementation and ongoing performance.
- Assist in emergency response situations as required.
- BS in Occupational Safety and Health, EHS or related field preferred. A business or other degree with Safety and/or Utility Forestry experience will be considered.
- Safety certification (ASP, CSP, or OHST) preferred.
- Must be willing to travel extensively (estimated 1+ weeks per month) including a few weekends each year.
- Certified Tree Care Safety Professional (CTSP) a plus.
- Current OSHA 30-hour Construction Industry certification or ability to obtain within 60-days of hire.
- 5 to 7 years demonstrated Environmental, Health, and Safety Leadership.
- Experience in arboricultural practices with utility vegetation management preferred and supervisory experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to self-manage a multi-dimensional meeting and travel schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally, collaboratively, and effectively with field employees, management, executives, clients and team members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in the English language required with ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy.
- Computer skills to include demonstrated abilities with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point required.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
This job operates in a professional office environment and may allow for intermittent working remotely. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, smart and desk phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This job may also work in an outdoor field environment; vehicle and foot patrol of utility power lines; remote locations as well as urban, city environment; physical demands and travel from site to site, including: walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes; exposure to noise, dust, grease, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions. This position requires wearing Personal Protective Equipment when working in an outdoor environment or as required by the Company and/or Client.
The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and listen. The employee is required to stand and walk. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The employee must have sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an outdoor environment; to walk, stand, sit, and operate a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, run, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; carry, push and/or pull light to heavy amounts of weight, frequently lift up to 10 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 60 lbs. (sandbags); to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; ability to verbally communicate to exchange information with public; ability to see and hear in normal range with or without correction; operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, range finder, fyrake, water backpack, shovel, and traffic cone.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug test and criminal background check.
All candidates must possess a valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA: Minority/Female/ Vets/Disabled.
Environmental Consultants (ECI) is a leading provider of vegetation and asset management consulting services to the electric and gas utility industry. For more than 45 years, ECI has delivered innovative solutions that help improve public safety and ensure environmental sustainability. We offer exciting career opportunities with an excellent compensation package and ongoing growth potential. If you enjoy working outdoors, a fast-paced environment and the challenges of a rewarding profession, consider a career with ECI!